CHARLOTTE, North Carolina – On Friday, December 15, 2017, all ten food banks in both Carolinas will formally announce a new alliance called FEEDING THE CAROLINAS. In August of 2017, members of the North Carolina Association of Food Banks and members of the South Carolina Association of Food Banks finalized the new alliance with a mission to “engage, educate and unite to achieve food security for all in the Carolinas.” All ten food banks will gather at Hendrick Motorsports (4400 Papa Joe Hendrick Boulevard, Charlotte, NC) at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, December 15, 2017. Food Banks in attendance will include:
- Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina, Raleigh, NC
- Food Bank of the Albemarle, Elizabeth City, NC
- Golden Harvest Food Bank, Augusta, GA (serves both SC and Georgia)
- Harvest Hope Food Bank, Columbia, SC
- Interfaith Food Shuttle, Raleigh, NC
- Lowcountry Food Bank, Charleston, SC
- Manna Food Bank, Asheville, NC
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina, Charlotte, NC (serves in both NC and SC)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest NC, Winston-Salem, NC
- Second Harvest Food Bank Southeast North Carolina, Fayetteville, NC
Collectively these food banks accomplished the following in 2016-2017:
- Distributed over 238 million pounds of food and household items.
- Supported over 3,700 agencies in all 146 counties of both states, including soup kitchens, emergency pantries, homeless shelters, youth programs and senior programs.
- Worked tirelessly to assist the 2.6 million people living in poverty in the two states.
The food banks will be joined in a show of support by a host of partners including:
|Adams Outdoor||Moore and Van Allen|
|Family Dollar||Simpson’s Eggs|
|Food Lion Feeds||Smithfield|
|Johnson and Wales University||Joseph P. Riley Center for Livable Communities at the College of Charleston|