Historic Columbia’s 2016 Preservation Awards announced

COLUMBIA, S.C. (May 5, 2016)—To celebrate the accomplishments of local architectural, construction and rehabilitation projects, Historic Columbia held its annual Preservation Awards Luncheon on Wednesday, May 4, Market Place at City Market, presented by Mashburn Construction.

Derek Gruner, university architect for the University of South Carolina, was recognized with the Preservation Leadership Award, given to someone who contributes to the advancement of historic preservation in the region.

“Derek is a key player in the changing face of our city and a person who strikes a sensitive balance between preservation and development for the University of South Carolina,” says Robin Waites, executive director of Historic Columbia. “He leads with an uncommon dedication to preservation and recognizes that the history of the university and the city are embodied in the built environment.”

2016 Preservation Award Winners:

Each year Historic Columbia hosts its Preservation Awards Luncheon to celebrate the accomplishments of local property owners; professionals in the fields of architecture, construction, and design; and leaders who champion preservation. These awards recognize local projects that have maintained or added to the historical, architectural, and cultural heritage of Columbia and Richland County in the categories of Adaptive Use, Preservation/Restoration, and New Construction in a Historic Context.

Adaptive Use Award:

Structures rehabilitated with sensitivity to the historic fabric that function in a way that is different from its original intent.

City Market

705, 707 & 711 Gervais Street

Owner: Garvin Design Group

Architect: Garvin Design Group

Contractor: Hood Construction

Hamilton College at the University of South Carolina

1512 Pendleton Street

Owner: University of South Carolina

Architect: The Boudreaux Group

Contractor: Metcon

The War Mouth

1209 Franklin Street

Owner: Cason Development Group, LLC; Congaree Meat King, LLC

Architect: Studio 2LR

Contractor: Mashburn Construction

Preservation/Restoration:

Historically significant structures restored to their original design and function.

1013 Canterfield Road

Owner: William and Charla Draper

St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church

1715 Bull Street

Owner: St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church

Architect: 1x1 Design, Inc.

Contractor: Mashburn Construction

New Construction in an Historical Context:

New buildings in a historic district, adjacent to or within existing historic structures that complement the historic context.

522 Lady Street

Owner: McCrory Construction Company and LandTech

Architect: Lambert Architecture + Construction Services

Contractor: McCrory Construction Company, LLC

612 Whaley

Owner: PMC Property Group

Architect: Garvin Design Group

Contractor: Triangle Construction

Historic Columbia’s 2015 Preservation Awards were presented by Mashburn Construction and sponsored by Garvin Design Group, GlobalX, Lambert Architecture + Construction Services, Hood Construction, PMC Property Group, Columbia Development Corporation, Architrave, The Boudreaux Group, 1x1 Design, and Rogers Lewis. To see a list of previous Preservation Award Winners, visit historiccolumbia.org.

###

About Historic Columbia:

In November 1961, a small group of individuals intent on saving the Ainsley Hall House from demolition officially incorporated as the Historic Columbia Foundation. Over the next five decades the organization, which was founded on the premise of preservation and education, would take on the stewardship of seven historic properties in Richland County. Today, the organization serves as a model for local preservation efforts and interpretation of local history. Visit historiccolumbia.org or find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or YouTube for more details.