COLUMBIA, SC - Mast General Store in Columbia is partnering with Harvest Hope this Valentine’s to restock their food pantry. The annual Be a Sweetheart, Feed the Hungry campaign, February 9 &10, matches each pound of candy purchased at Mast Store with a $1 donation that our partners then stretch to:
- Provide healthy snacks for Head Start participants,
- Stock the Market with fresh produce & bread to allow clients to shop for foods their families would like,
- Supply foods to encourage healthy eating - over 68% of the food distributed in 2016 is recognized by Feeding America as foods that focus on good health, like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.,
- Rescue foods that would otherwise be discarded from restaurants and other businesses,
- Feed seniors who may never have had to worry about food until their spouse passed away, and
- Nourish hungry veterans who are struggling to put enough food on their tables.
With our and your help, our food security partners can do amazing things with that $1. But if you aren’t looking for sweets this holiday, you can still make a difference and help out by dropping your spare change in the collection jars on the counter or by rounding up your purchase to the next dollar at the register. A donation of any amount can make a big difference.
Remember, hunger does not discriminate and is not just an issue within the homeless community. Harvest Hope serves 20 counties throughout the Midlands, Upstate, and Pee Dee regions of South Carolina with the help of more than 500 partner agencies like food pantries, shelters, schools, and churches. The organization’s mission is to provide for the needs of hungry people by gathering and sharing quality food with dignity, compassion, and education. In 2017, more than 27 million meals were delivered.
Like many non-profit organizations, Harvest Hope relies on volunteers and donations for much of its success. There are opportunities to get involved on a personal or group level. Learn how to fight hunger in your community. Stop by the information table during the event or click over to their website at www.HarvestHope.org.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.