Columbia, S.C. – The Columbia Museum of Art’s biannual block party Arts & Draughts returns Friday, March 31, from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m. This signature Columbia event is a great opportunity to frolic with friends and community creatives while exploring the museum in a party atmosphere. The upcoming Arts & Draughts features an amazing lineup of live music, performances, food, libations, community partners, art activities, and art experiences from the booming Columbia cultural scene and beyond.
“Here comes another Arts & Draughts for the books!” says CMA Manager of Engagement Wilson Bame. “We’ll see Jive Talk perform their first show in Columbia, The Planks’ last in town, and Linqua Franqa’s first in years! Plus, we get a chance to work with some excellent community partners, chat with artists and producers, and sample tastes from the city’s best in food and bev — what's not to love?”
Attendees can expect to:
• Stroll the open galleries, from the CMA Collection to exhibitions including Our Own Work, Our Own Way: Ascendant Women Artists in the Johnson Collection, Reverent Ornament: Art from the Islamic World, Forward Together: African American Art from the Judy and Patrick Diamond Collection, and Bullets and Bandaids: A Veteran Anthology
• Dance to live music by Nashville’s Jive Talk, Athens’ Linqua Franqa, and Augusta’s DJ Lady Marauder, plus Greer’s The Planks in their last performance in Columbia
• Sip on suds from Weco Bottle & Biergarten featuring select brews from Creature Comforts Brewing
• Nosh on delicious delights from Falafel King, Los Chicanos, and Parabellum Mobile Eats
• Take a Unique Perspective Tour of Reverent Ornament with Iranian American artists Nakisa Beigi and Mina Rastgartalab Tabrizi and Bangladeshi American creative and digital marketer Sabah Kadir
• After getting inspired by the outstanding prints in Forward Together, try printing your own designs at the screenprinting station led by the students of USC Screenprinting
• Get your name written in Islamic calligraphy by Hala A. of Barakah Crafts, inspired by Reverent Ornament
• "Stick” it to the patriarchy at the subversive paper doll station inspired by the women artists in Our Own Work, Our Own Way
• Broadcast yourself on the CMA’s Binder Podcast — sit down for a short interview to share what you love most about the CMA, art, and of course, Arts & Draughts
• Drop by the Columbia World Affairs Council station to test your knowledge of Islamic art and geography inspired by Reverent Ornament
• Check in with FemmeX Columbia and see what their mission brings to our great city, featuring South Carolina artists in their curated space and activities inspired by women artists of Our Own Work, Our Own Way
• Go on a scavenger hunt in the CMA galleries
• Check out live screenprinting by Screened Out Printers of the official Arts & Draughts T-shirt. Shirt design by Nick Puza
$10 / $5 for members. Cash-only bar. Join or renew membership that night and get in free, or volunteer for a short shift and enjoy the rest of the event for free.
Sponsored by Ambient Media, Mast General Store, Prisma Health, Sound Bites Eatery, WECO Bottle & Biergarten, 99.3 WXRY-FM, and Cool Care Heating, Air, Plumbing & Refrigeration.
For more information, visit columbiamuseum.org.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.