- Over 130 colleges and universities expected to attend (James Brown Arena)
- $16,000 in scholarships to be awarded
Aiken, S.C., (Sept. 20, 2018) — CSRA College Night, which was postponed due to Hurricane Florence, will now be held Thursday, Sept. 27, 5-8:30 p.m., at the James Brown Arena, Augusta, Ga.
At this event, high school students will have a special opportunity to meet recruiters from more than 130 colleges and universities and win scholarships totaling $16,000. Admission is free and open to the public.
Each year, the entire arena is filled with seminars, information booths, career and counseling centers, plus colorful exhibits manned by representatives from colleges, universities and technical schools from throughout the U.S. In addition, members from local professional societies will be prepared to provide beneficial information in areas such as engineering, management, chemical science and nuclear science.
Last year, approximately 5,000 CSRA students, parents and guidance counselors attended the event.
College Night provides a way for CSRA students and parents to:
- Obtain information on educational opportunities, admission requirements and tuition;
- Attend seminars to get information about HOPE and LIFE scholarships, financial aid and essay writing for college admissions, time management, learning styles, scholarships and joint enrollment;
- Visit a counseling center that will be open throughout the evening where students and parents can seek advice about the college application process from high school advisors and admissions professionals;
- Visit a career exploration area where students can discover their options after college. Students will be able to participate in a quick “card sort” interest inventory to validate their career choice; and
- Register to participate in the drawing for a $1,000 scholarship. Students must attend and register in person at CSRA College Night to be eligible. To qualify for a College Night scholarship, students must be high school juniors or seniors and graduate with a GPA equal or above 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent.
CSRA College Night is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy-Savannah River Operations Office, Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, LLC, and iHeartMedia.
Other contributors include: SRP Federal Credit Union, Aiken County Career and Technology Center, Bridgestone Americas, Centerra-SRS, Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering International, South Carolina Society of Professional Engineers - Aiken Chapter, American Chemical Society (ACS-SR) Augusta Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Communigraphics and Holiday Inn.
For more information, visit the College Night web site at http://www.srs.gov, click on Outreach, then Education Outreach Programs, then CSRA College Night:
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.