Call for Athletes for
1st Annual Midlands Combine
New Athletic Event to Help Local Non-Profits
Columbia, S.C.- Registration is now open for athletes and weekend warriors for the 1st Annual Midlands Combine to be held Saturday, May 1, 2021 at the SOAR athletic fields in Columbia, SC. The event will feature 10 athletic events geared to challenge speed, strength, endurance, and agility. Potential participants may enter as individuals or in teams. Registration fees are $100 per person. All proceeds from this new athletic competition will support Transitions Homeless Shelter and the SOAR Columbia Athletic League.
"We are grateful for the Midlands Combine raising support for us to help youth, medically fragile, elderly, and other homeless women and men who need our help. Many of our clients struggle with their physical health, and the Combine emphasizes those in great shape. We are thankful that these competitors still care for those most in need in our community. The proceeds that Transitions receives will go towards food, showers, laundry, beds, and case management to help our clients in these groups. Thanks to the most physically fit for helping our most vulnerable populations, said Craig Currey, CEO of Transitions Homeless Center.
William Stanford, Director of SOAR Columbia added, "SOAR is grateful to the Midlands Combine and its Board of Directors for having a vision to provide an opportunity for our community that also gives back by helping support our organization and the great work that Transitions does.”
For more information on the event and how to participate, volunteer, or donate, please visit www.midlandscombine.org
About Transitions Homeless Center
• Since opening in 2011, Transitions has helped over 2800 people to develop the skills needed to become stable and move from the streets into permanent housing.
• Over 2million nutritious meals have been served since opening.
• On-site access to healthcare services, clinical assessment referrals, counseling for drug/alcohol abuse and mental illness.
• Programs for Veterans, 62+ year olds and 18–24-year-olds.
• Day center open 365 days a year for homeless men and women needing to do laundry, take a shower, have lunch, get clothes or even see a nurse.
About SOAR Columbia
• SOAR coaches are committed to changing lives, not just athletic skills.
• SOAR is a non-profit sports league that serves 900+ youth, 160+ international and local adults each year.
• SOAR is faith and family friendly.
• SOAR serves underprivileged children through donations and sponsorships.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.