CAYCE, S.C. (Feb. 2, 2022) – The Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation recently awarded more than $350,000 to 21 South Carolina nonprofits that are working to create a cleaner, greener world and increase environmental stewardship across the state.
Last year, the foundation awarded $1.5 million in environmental stewardship and education grants to 115 community organizations across 10 states. The competitive grants support projects that preserve, enhance or increase access to the natural world.
“South Carolina is such a special place to call home, and these organizations work hard every day to help keep it that way,” said Keller Kissam, president of Dominion Energy South Carolina. “It’s such a privilege to partner with them as we all strive to protect the environmental integrity and beauty of our communities while doing what we can to make sure our future generations will also have it to enjoy.”
Some of this year's grants include support for:
• Audubon South Carolina’s Project PROTHO, Charleston to support bird conservation research and educational outreach efforts related to the Prothonotary Warbler, a bird species that breeds and nests at the Audubon Center and Sanctuary at Francis Beidler Forest.
• Beaufort County Open Land Trust, Beaufort will fund the design and installation of three environmental education kiosks placed at Widgen Point Preserve and Capers Creek Scenic Vista. The 170-acre Widgen Point Preserve officially opened to the public last year and includes a three-fourths mile walking trail. The Capers Creek Vista kiosk will provide interpretation of what visitors may learn about the rich marsh habitat.
• Camp Discovery at His Acres, Blythewood to support Cultivating Citizen Scientists, a hands-on experiential learning initiative for public school students offered through NASA's GLOBE Citizen Science Program. Funding will connect children, teachers, and families to NASA subject matter experts and promote conservation and environmental stewardship through both virtual and on-site sessions.
• Lowcountry Marine Mammal Network, North Charleston to support the annual Dolphin Count, which engages the community and brings awareness about marine mammals that inhabit Charleston waters and the human-induced threats they face. The data collected provides researchers with a snapshot of the population, including location, behavior, environmental parameters, and dolphin calves present.
• Piney Woods Elementary Parent Teacher Organization, Chapin to create a MOTUS Bird Tracking Program and tower at the school. MOTUS is a device that will track tagged birds along their migration routes from their wintering grounds in the tropics to their nesting grounds in North America. Students will be able to track birds such as the purple martin, their school mascot.
Over the last 16 years, the Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation has donated over $38 million to a wide variety of environmental projects across its footprint.
Find a full list of 2021 Environmental Stewardship Grants recipients and additional program information at Dominionenergy.com/envirogrants.
About the Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation About 7 million customers in 13 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D). Through its Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation, as well as EnergyShare and other programs, Dominion Energy contributed more than $48 million in 2021 to community causes. The Foundation supports nonprofit causes that meet basic human needs, protect the environment, promote education, and encourage community vitality. Please visit www.DominionEnergy.com to learn more.
SOURCE Dominion Energy
About Dominion Energy
More than 7 million customers in 13 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable and safe energy and to achieving net zero carbon dioxide and methane emissions from its power generation and gas infrastructure operations by 2050. Please visit DominionEnergy.com to learn more.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.