Five local non-profits to benefit from community vote
Columbia, S.C. – With a Shandon bungalow more than halfway through an innovative, crowd-sourced renovation, the ‘Flip & Give’ project is closing in on a charitable donation that could exceed $100,000. An initiative of Columbia real estate firm The Moore Company, ‘Flip & Give’ allows viewers to vote on design choices for the total renovation and, soon, will ask that same community to decide how the net profits from the sale of the home are split between five local charities. Every charity will win a percentage of the net profits with the winning charity taking the largest donation.
“We asked for voters to nominate non-profits to receive this donation and we were overwhelmed by the response,” said Graeme Moore, owner of The Moore Company. “We believe the five groups we’ve selected each tackle an important area of need in our community. Due to the incredible generosity of our neighbors and partnering businesses, every chosen non-profit will financially benefit from this project.”
In celebration of Giving Tuesday on November 27, visitors to the Flip & Give website will have until January 31st to decide which of the following charities will receive the largest share of the project’s net profits:
- Achieve Columbia – A non-profit helping to mitigate the effects of childhood trauma and build resiliency so that kids have the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
- Camp Cole – An ADA-compliant, state-of-the-art facility being built in the Midlands of South Carolina for children and adults facing serious illness and other physical and mental health challenges.
- The Therapy Place – Provides traditional and innovative therapies and recreational opportunities for children with special needs in an environment that is family-friendly, while also offering resources and education for parents/caregivers.
- Midlands Fatherhood Coalition - Provides resources to help fathers throughout the Midlands overcome the barriers to being a responsible and involved father.
- The Women’s Shelter – Seeks to provide lasting change in the lives of homeless women, providing them with the tools and skills they need to become healthy, safe and self-sufficient.
“There are so many groups doing great work in our community, and I think voters will have a tough time deciding which charity gets the biggest piece of the pie,” Moore said. “This will be the most exciting and important part of this whole process.”
‘Flip & Give’ began in July with an anticipated completion date of early 2019. So far, viewers have chosen a bathroom layout, kitchen countertops, roof style and exterior paint colors, among others. The quality and care of each selection will factor into the finished home’s price and, ultimately, how much money is raised for charity. For more information on the project (including how to vote!) go to http://www.TheMooreCompany.com.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.