Columbia, S.C., October 4, 2018–The One SC Fund Grants Committee has announced the first round of grant awards for Hurricane Florence relief and recovery projects across South Carolina. Grantees will receive a total of $165,000 to support their projects. To support the fund, visit http://www.onescfund.org.
To date, the One SC Fund, established by former Governor Nikki Haley in November 2015 after the Thousand Year Flood to help South Carolinians who are recovering from a disaster, has awarded $3,612,500 in grants to nonprofits to support disaster recovery projects across our state, helping more than 1,740 families return home.
The scope of work from the nonprofits will include food distribution, home recovery and rebuilding, water and tree removal and the building of a dormitory for volunteers.
The following nonprofit organizations will receive grants from the One SC Fund:
• Catholic Charities of South Carolina: Home recovery/rebuild, water/tree removal, food distribution/vouchers, materials, temporary shelter/lodging in Horry County
• Dillon County Long Term Recovery Group: Home recovery/rebuild, water/tree removal, materials, temporary shelter/lodging in Dillon County
• Harvest Hope Food Bank: Food distribution/vouchers, materials in Marion County
• Home Works of America: Home recovery/rebuild, water/tree removal, and materials in Chesterfield, Marlboro, Dillion, Marion, Horry, and Georgetown Counties
• Lowcountry Food Bank: Food distribution/vouchers in Georgetown and Horry Counties
• Marion County Habitat for Humanity: Home recovery/rebuild, water/tree removal, temporary shelter/lodging in Marion County
• SBP, Inc.: Home recovery/rebuild, materials for Horry and Marion Counties
Donations for the One SC Fund have come from many generous individuals and businesses across the nation. A list of corporate donors can be found at http://www.onescfund.org.
The nonprofit grant recipients were selected by a grants committee made up of representatives from four S.C. community foundations, as well as business and civic leaders. These individuals know their communities well and helped distribute the funds to areas where the dollars will have the greatest impact.
“The One SC Fund has helped thousands of South Carolinians return home after disasters over the last few years,” said JoAnn Turnquist, president and CEO of Central Carolina Community Foundation. “We’re grateful for the many generous donors who have helped these families and individuals.”
Nonprofit organizations can continue to apply for grants until Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at https://www.yourfoundation.org/OneSCGrants.
There is still much work required to rebuild South Carolina from recent disasters – work that will require funding. Donations to the One SC Fund are being accepted and will be directed to counties in the Pee Dee and Grand Strand that have been impacted by Hurricane Florence.
100% of monies donated will be granted to local nonprofits providing disaster relief and recovery.
How to Donate to the One SC Fund
Those wishing to contribute to the One SC Fund can do so in the following ways:
• Online: Visit http://www.onescfund.org to make a donation with your credit card
• Mail: Send a check made payable to Central Carolina Community Foundation-One SC to: Central Carolina Community Foundation-One SC, 2711 Middleburg Drive, Suite 213, Columbia, SC 29204
This PSA video, encouraging the public to give to the One SC Fund, still is available for general use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCwpvJFkIE&feature=youtu.be
About Central Carolina Community Foundation
Central Carolina Community Foundation, the Midlands' center for philanthropy, is a nonprofit organization serving 11 counties in the Midlands by distributing grants and scholarships and linking the resources of donors, nonprofits and area leaders to communities in need. Major initiatives include Midlands Gives 24-hour online giving challenge, Connected Communities grants, On the Table - Powered by Central Carolina Community Foundation, the One SC Fund, Best of Philanthropy Awards, scholarships, and more. For more information about the Foundation, visit www.yourfoundation.org or call 803.254.5601.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.