COLUMBIA, S.C. (June 18, 2023) While there are many things to love about summer in the south - warm weather, longer days and time spent outdoors - the season also marks the arrival of heavy rain and humidity and peak mosquito season. In recognition of National Mosquito Control Awareness Week (June 18-24), Terminix Service, Inc., (TSI), the nation’s tenth-largest pest control company, today unveiled the top 15 cities in the Carolinas and Central Savannah River Area where mosquitoes will be most prevalent, highlighted by Charlotte, N.C., Rock Hill, S.C., and Georgetown, S.C.
"As we enter into summer, it's important to acknowledge the presence of mosquitoes and take proactive measures to safeguard against mosquito-borne diseases," advises Kevin Hathorne, the technical director of Terminix Service, Inc. "We strongly urge everyone to take proactive steps to reduce the potential mosquito population in their yards, including eliminating stagnant water sources around your home, and having your yard professionally treated regularly throughout the summer."
The latest rankings are based on mosquito service calls received by the 56 local branches throughout the Carolinas and the Central Savannah River Area. The top three metros with the most mosquito activity this season are Charlotte, N.C., Rock Hill, S.C., and Georgetown, S.C. The entire top 15 list includes:
2. Rock Hill
14. Mount Pleasant
In addition to ruining outdoor barbeques, mosquitoes are a public health threat due to their ability to carry diseases. Mosquitoes are known vector pests, which means that they can still carry diseases such as West Nile and Zika viruses.
Hathorne says steps to reducing mosquitoes include:
- Disposing of old tires, buckets, drums, bottles, or any water-holding containers.
- Cleaning debris from rain gutters, ditches, culverts, and outdoor drains so water can flow properly.
- Ensuring swimming pools and ornamental ponds are properly maintained and that water in birdbaths, plant pots or drip trays is emptied and replaced after every rainfall.
- Checking around outdoor faucets, air conditioner units, and repairing leaks.
- Filling in tree holes and hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete.
- Keeping grass cut and shrubs well trimmed where adult mosquitoes may rest.
- Sealing out mosquitoes by ensuring windows and door screens are in good condition.
- Wearing light-colored clothing, long sleeve shirts, and long pants when possible.
- Using personal insect repellents that contain at least 20% DEET.
While Terminix cannot guarantee customers will not get bitten by mosquitoes or contract a mosquito-borne illness, by significantly reducing the mosquito population in a given area, everyone can reduce the chances of bites occurring. For more information on mosquito management services, visit www.TrustTerminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.
About Terminix Service, Inc.
For 75 years, our customers have trusted Terminix Service, Inc., for the best termite and pest control protection for their homes and businesses. With annual revenue of over $150 million, the family-owned and operated Terminix Service, Inc. is the tenth-largest pest control company in North America. Terminix Service, Inc. operates in South Carolina, western North Carolina, and the Central Savannah River Area of Georgia. Visit www.TrustTerminix.com or call 1-800-TERMINIX.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.